1. Yellow Ribbon Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay:


• All resident tuition and fees for a public school

• The lower of the actual tuition and fees or the national maximum per academic year for a private institution.

Cost of actual tuition and fees may exceed these amounts if one is attending a private school or is attending a public school as a nonresident student.

Institutions of higher learning (degree-granting institutions) may elect to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program to make additional funds available for a veteran’s education program without an additional charge to one’s GI Bill entitlement.

Degree-granting institutions of higher learning participating in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program agree to make additional funds available for a veteran’s education program without an additional charge to their GI Bill entitlement. These institutions voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with the Veterans Administration and choose the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. VA matches that amount and issues payments directly to the institution.


Available Benefits & Eligibility


Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate, as determined by service requirements, or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active-duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program. Child transferees of active-duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100-percent rate.


To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program:


• You must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill

• You must not be on active duty or a spouse using transferred entitlement

• Your school must agree to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program

• Your school must have not offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals, as stated in their participation agreement

• Your school must certify your enrollment to VA and provide Yellow Ribbon Program information

• Benefits expire 15 years after you leave the service, instead of the previous ten years.


You may be eligible if you fit the following circumstances:


• You served an aggregate period of 36 months in active duty after September 10, 2001

• You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.

• You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on the service eligibility criteria listed above.


 Source: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs


2. State of Connecticut Tuition Waivers for Veterans

Veterans may attend Connecticut public colleges and universities tuition-free. Connecticut statutes provide that tuition may be waived for qualified veterans attending the University of Connecticut, Connecticut state universities and the 12 community-technical colleges.

Waivers cover only the cost of tuition for credit-bearing undergraduate and graduate programs. Other charges, such as for books, student activity and course fees, parking and room and board are not waived.

To qualify for a waiver at the University of Connecticut and Connecticut state universities, veterans generally must be admitted to a degree program. The community-technical colleges are more flexible.


Tuition Coverage


Tuition waivers for veterans cover 100 percent of tuition for General Fund courses at all public colleges and universities and 50 percent for Extension Fund and summer courses at Connecticut state universities.

Source: Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs


3. Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling for Veterans

Educational Services


Educational funding may be available to veterans who demonstrate a need for training or retraining to better prepare them for today’s competitive job market.

If a veteran wishes to attend a local community college or university, he/she will be informed of the veteran tuition waiver benefit to determine eligibility. The veteran will be instructed to file for financial aid. If in need of financial assistance beyond this, she or he can request funding from the Residential and Rehabilitation Services Director, if eligible.

Instruction in basic computer skills, use of Windows programs and use of the Internet are arranged through the Vocational Department at a local training facility.

Personal enhancement classes such as Tai Chi and CPR are also offered at the facility.

Source: Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs